yesterday. The theme of today is a Christmas recipe so I decided to make and share my 'North Pole' cupcakes. Now don't ask why they're called 'North Pole' cupcakes because I really don't know why! I just made theme in a snow and candy cane theme and the North Pole just sprung to mind so that's simply how they got their name! These cupcakes are super simple to make - just like everything I make because anything complicated I know I will get wrong! These cupcakes have a chocolate sponge topped with creamy vanilla icing, a good sprinkling of coconut flakes and decorations of silver balls, chocolate drops, candy canes, white fondant icing and blue glitter to make the various designs.
115g soft dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
115g plain white flour
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
125ml soured cream
Betty Crocker Vanilla Icing
Silver ball sprinkles
Ready to roll fondant icing
Blue glitter icing tube
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder in a large bowl and beat together until smooth. Fold in the soured cream and chocolate chips and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clear when inserted into the middle of the cupcakes.
4. Take out of oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. I cover my cupcakes with a tea towel to keep in the moisture.
5. When cool apply icing of you choice. I used Betty Crockers Vanilla Icing as I was short on time and I really love the taste of this particular icing.
6. Cover the vanilla icing with a generous sprinkling of coconut flakes.
7. Decorate with silver balls and other decorations of your choice. I chose to do snowmen made of chocolate drops and leftover orange sprinkles from Halloween. I rolled out my fondant icing and used a snowflake shaped cookie cutter to make the snowflake shape. I decorated some with silver balls, some with blue glitter icing and some with both - every snowflake is different, right? I also made some with tiny marshmallows, silver balls and a candy cane.
8. Serve and enjoy your North Pole cupcakes!
These delicious North Pole cupcakes are simple, easy to make and so tasty for a real Christmas treat! If you have little ones you can let them join in on the decorating and you can be as creative as you like.These are lovely for Christmas parties or family get-togethers or a something sweet if you just want to show someone you care whilst you're doing your Christmas visiting. I shall be dropping some of these out to my parents house for them to enjoy too.
Do you like the look of my North Pole cupcakes? What is your favourite Christmas recipe?