With Halloween coming up next week I decided that it was excuse enough to make some tasty, fun looking cupcakes once more. I haven't baked since before the summer but having seen some fun little sugarcraft decorations whilst I was out shopping I just had to pick some up (I wish could have made them myself but sadly I'm not that talented when it comes to baking but will we just pretend I did for post purposes?!) and make some tasty treats for my family and I to enjoy. I loved how these turned out and I think they'd be great for a Halloween party or even a child's party if their birthday was on or around Halloween. These cupcakes feature almost every Halloween symbol thinkable, from witches to ghosts to bats and the rest. Not only do these look good they taste great too with their chocolate sponge and chocolate chip filling - delicious!
115g soft dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
115g plain white flour
1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
25g cocoa powder
125ml soured cream
Halloween themed sugarcraft decorations
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. Place the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder in a large bowl and beat together until smooth. Fold in the soured cream and chocolate chips and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
3. Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clear when inserted into the middle of the cupcakes.
4. Take out of oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. I cover my cupcakes with a tea towel to keep in the moisture.
5. When cool apply icing of you choice. I chose to do orange icing but black or green icing would work well with the Halloween theme too.
6. Decorate with sprinkles and other decorations of your choice.
7. Serve and enjoy!
You can see my Halloween chocolate orange cupcakes with red and black swirled icing from last year here if you're looking for even more Halloween baking inspiration.
What do you think of my Halloween inspired cupcakes?